Supporting running in the metro Richmond area
In celebration of the 75th Anniversary of the Blue Ridge Parkway, the inaugural Blue Ridge Marathon will be run on April 24, 2010. The building of the Blue Ridge Parkway was an amazing feat as anyone who completes this marathon will see.
Local runners have crafted one of the most difficult and beautiful marathons on the east coast. The full marathon course includes 3,076 feet of total elevation gain and 6,140 feet of total elevation change. The uphill portions will test each runner’s strength and endurance while the equally challenging downhill sections are sure to weed out those who are unprepared. The breathtaking views and stunning Blue Ridge Mountain scenery are sure offer some reprieve to runners as they persevere to the finish line!
Not only does the course include beautiful mountain scenery, it also offers an iconic START and FINISH in front of two well-known and historic locations in downtown Roanoke: The Taubman Museum of Art and the historic Hotel Roanoke.
* What: Full & Half Marathon
* Where: Roanoke, VA and Blue Ridge Parkway
* Date: April 24, 2010
* Start Time: 7:30 am
* Begins: Taubman Museum of Art
* Ends: Hotel Roanoke (one block from the start)
* Total Climb: 3,076 ft. (full marathon), 1,399 ft. (half marathon)
* Total Elevation Change: 6,140 ft. (full marathon), 2,779 ft. (half marathon)
* Most Difficult Section: Roanoke Mountain
* Beneficiary: Friends of the Blue Ridge Parkway
* Honorary Race Chair: Rep. Bob Goodlatte (Va)
* Magnificent Views: Plenty