Supporting running in the metro Richmond area
The Richmond Race for the Cure was started in 1998 by Jennifer Norvell Saunders, in memory of her mother, Joanne. Joanne lost her battle with breast cancer after a second reoccurrence of her disease. To honor her mother's life, Jennifer, her family, and friends planned the first Richmond Race for the Cure® with the hope that fifty people would join them. To Jennifer's surprise over 1,200 gathered at the starting line that Mother's Day weekend.
The Komen Richmond Affiliate was established in 1999 to support Komen's vision of a world without breast cancer and promote the promise to save lives and end breast cancer forever by empowering people, ensuring quality of care for all and energizing science to find the cures. The Komen Richmond Affiliate's Board of Directors works to fulfill the vision and promise in 74 cities and counties in Central Virginia.
As well as being a road race for runners, the Komen Richmond Race for the Cure is an emotionally charged event that attracts many first timers and recreational runners. The Komen Race for the Cure is an opportunity for thousands of women, men and their families, running or walking, to spread the breast cancer message within their communities.
Up to 75% of the funds raised at the Race remain here in Central Virginia to provide breast health screening, treatment, and education for uninsured or underinsured women. The remaining 25% goes to fund national research to discover the causes of breast cancer and, ultimately, its cures.