Mark Your Calendars!!
September 19, 2015
19th Annual Hospice Hustle
5k Glow Run/Walk
Join your friends and neighbors to support the mission of Rockbridge Area Hospice by participating in the 19th Annual Hospice Hustle on September 19th. Registration includes the race, t-shirt (if registered by August 6th) and a BBQ meal.
Seems like sitting around the kitchen table has been the beginnings for many great things at Rockbridge Area Hospice. An idle conversation got the wheels moving to form this organization and ingenuity struck again when volunteer Mary Beth Schuder presented then RAH director Susan Hogg with the idea of starting a 5K Fundraiser. The organization rallied to the call including the board members: Alice Furgerson, Rita Duffy, Carolyn Morse, Herb Slaydon, Janet Blackburn, Rebecca Connelly, Marlys Craun, Robert Frabrizio, Pat Helper, Annette John, Beverly Lorig, Katie Letcher Lyle, Alice Roanne, Dan Shybunko, Joel Snow and Beatrice Tharp.
- The first Hospice Hustle was on October 19, 1997 with more than 150 running or walking.
- The next Hustle was held in Buena Vista in 1998.
- Wally Fogo has been the Grand Marshall every year through 2011 and carried the RAH flag to start the race.
- Mary Beth Schuder was the Co-Grand Marshall in the 2011 race along with Wally Fogo.
- Board member Katie Letcher Lyle was on the board during the original Hustle and is still on the board today!
- Board member Joel Snow was on the board during the original Hustle and retired from the board in 2011.
- The Rockbridge County High School Interact Club has volunteered to help with the Hustle every year since the beginning.
- In 2012 the Hustle added at After Party with live music and food and moved the location to Brewbaker Field in Lexington.
- 2013 marked the inaugural "Glow Run" addition to the Hospice Hustle. The event moved to the Lexington Golf and Country Club and had the most participants registered to date.