There are many opportunities for children to run in Richmond. The Richmond Road Runners Club puts on a number of races throughout the year that have kid's events. These races include:
1/2 Mile Run at the Carytown 10K in May
Kid's Run at the Woman's Distance Festival in July
Kid's Run at the Moonlight 4-Miler in August
Kid's Run at the Turkey Trot in November
Kid's Run at the Toy Run in December
The club also sponsors a summer track program at the Sports Backers Stadium every Wednesday night during the summer. Kids can come out and run track events ranging from 400M to 3 miles. More info will be posted here as it becomes available.
The club is also associated with a number of races that have kid's events:
• Whistlestart 5K in March
• First Market Mile Kids Run in March
• Crossover Challenge 1 Mile Kids Run in May
• Saint’s Sprint 1Mile in April
• Kristen Grote 1 Mile Fun Run in May
• Twilightfully Different Children’s Track Events in June
• James River Kids Run in July
• JC Firecracker 1M in July
• Mark Wilson Kids Run in October
• Midlothian Blaze 5K in September
• Run for Read 1M in October
• Ruby Harvey Memorial Children’s Run in November
• Time-Dispatch Kids Mile in November
Track Clubs and Training Programs for Kids
The USA Track and Field Web site lists
kid's track clubs in Virginia. Clubs are generally focused on track events but some may also do field events.
organizes a number of programs in conjunction with their major events. These include the Kids Marathon Running Youth Program and the Fit for Life Kids Challenge.
is an organization that provides the children of the Richmond a safe and healthy environment to develop life skills through organized competitive events. They do this by organizing sports events designed for children. Their events are not limited to running. They also do kids triathlons. Running Kids also offers kids focused training programs.
provides good information about scholastic running in Virginia.
Hal Higdon answers the question
, "Is running good for children?"
The American Council on Exercise provides guidance
on kid's running.